...we hit the triple digits!
Friday, April 27, 2018
Thursday, April 26, 2018
I came across an article today about '49 Things Everyone Should Do In New Orleans Before They Die' and figured I could do them one better with a 50 Things Las Vegas list...
- Walk the Las Vegas Strip at night.
- Spend an evening enjoying the Fremont Experience.
- Drive through Red Rock Canyon.
- Walk across the Hoover Dam.
- Eat at a fabulous buffet.
- Hit up a popular nightclub.
- Stay in a suite at a center-Strip hotel/casino.
- Go gambling.
- Take a ride on the Linq High Roller.
- Go to First Friday.
- Watch a rodeo event at the Southpoint.
- Participate in an organized run (marathon, half marathon, 5k, fun run, etc).
- Watch a concert by a major entertainer.
- Go shopping (high end stores, malls, outlets, Goodwill, etc).
- Take a day trip to the Valley of Fire.
- Visit the Clark County Historical Museum.
- Take a guided tour (on horseback, ATVs, scooters, etc).
- Check out the Bellagio Conservatory.
- Watch a local sports team in action (UNLV basketball, 51s baseball, Golden Knights hockey).
- Catch a Cirque du Soleil show.
- Visit one of our many great museums (Neon Museum, Mob Museum, Atomic Testing Museum, Pinball Hall of Fame, etc).
- Check out the Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay.
- Watch a famous Las Vegas show (Penn & Teller, Terry Fator, etc).
- Attend an annual Las Vegas event (National Finals Rodeo, World Series of Poker, Las Vegas Rock and Roll Marathon, etc).
- Have a fabulous dinner at a famous Las Vegas restaurant.
- Hang out at a day club at one of the many pools on the Strip.
- Get married!
- Shoot machine guns.
- Take a thrill ride on top of the Stratosphere.
- Play golf at one of the many golf courses in Las Vegas.
- Watch a show at the Smith Center for the Performing Arts.
- Visit the Ethel M Chocolate Factory and Cactus Garden.
- Attend a community festival (Pure Aloha, Scottish Highland Games, Renaissance Faire, etc).
- Visit one of our amazing parks (Sunset Park, Floyd Lamb Park, Spring Mountain State Park, etc).
- Attend mass at the Guardian Angel Cathedral.
- Go skiing or snowboarding at Mt Charleston.
- Check out the bird habitat behind the Flamingo hotel and casino.
- Take the driverless shuttle around downtown Las Vegas.
- Eat dim sum in Chinatown.
- Watch one of the many parades held each year in Las Vegas.
- Attend an event at a popular gathering spot (Container Park, Downtown Summerlin, District at Green Valley, the Linq, etc).
- Check out a Las Vegas marijuana dispensary.
- Visit the Pioneer Saloon in Goodsprings.
- Enjoy live music at one of the many musical venues in Las Vegas (Brooklyn Bowl, Bunkhouse Saloon, House of Blues, etc).
- Visit a popular Las Vegas strip club.
- Take the kids to a popular children's place (Springs Preserve, Discovery Children's Museum, Sky Zone, etc).
- Attend a popular music festival in Las Vegas (Life is Beautiful, Electric Daisy Carnival, I Heart Radio, etc).
- Look at the sky at the CSN Planetarium or at a Las Vegas Astronomical event.
- Eat lunch at the popular Road Kill Grill.
- Find cool souvenirs at the Bonanza Gift Shop, the world's largest gift store.
For more amazing/fun/interesting things to do, check out this list.
Monday, April 23, 2018
Sunday, April 22, 2018
Saturday, April 21, 2018
We love the wide range of restaurants you can find in Las Vegas. Here are some of our favorites:
Friday, April 20, 2018
In no particular order...
- There are 4/20 parties everywhere!
- So much work on our one and only major freeway (and so much backed up traffic!).
- One of the best museums in the county is celebrating its 50 year anniversary!
- And our famous Mob Museum has opened a working speakeasy.
- Our new hockey team, the Golden Knights, are doing amazingly well in their first season.
- Avicii, a headlining DJ in Las Vegas, died today.
- We have our usual bit of unusual news.
- And our daily criminal activities.
- And they finally caught a disgruntled worker who shot his boss at a company picnic here in Vegas.
- Finally, free horses!
Thursday, April 19, 2018
Wednesday, April 18, 2018
Monday, April 16, 2018
Sunday, April 15, 2018
In no particular order...
Saturday, April 14, 2018
Tonight I wanted pad thai for dinner but didn't have the sauce that I usually use to make it with. Previous attempts at making the sauce from scratch were pretty much failures but I decided to give it one more try. The recipe I used to make this pad thai was nearly spot on! The only thing I added to the sauce was a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter which made it taste much better but over all this recipe was a hit!
Friday, April 13, 2018
Another super simple recipe...homemade pizza. The crust is easy (1 package of yeast, 1 cup hot water, 1 cup flour, a bit of salt and a bit of sugar; mix well then add more flour until it makes a dough. Knead then set aside to rise. Today we tried whole wheat flour which was kind of meh.). After the dough rises drop it into a large baking pan, let rise for another 20 minutes or so, then add your toppings--spaghetti sauce, shredded cheese, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and spinach in our case today. Bake at 450 until brown, about 20 minutes. Yum!
Thursday, April 12, 2018
Wednesday, April 11, 2018
On the menu tonight...stuffed mushrooms. These are so easy to make and you can put just about anything in them! Simply chop up your ingredients finely, fry up the ingredients, stuff the mushrooms, and bake them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. I used whatever we had in the fridge for these so the filling included garlic, onions, a little bit of leftover bacon, parsley, and breadcrumbs, fried in butter, stuffed into the mushroom caps then covered with a little shredded cheese. Yum!
Tuesday, April 10, 2018
So much data...such little time to appreciate it all...
Monday, April 9, 2018
The Philippines is one of my favorite countries. Every once in a while I will come across an article about the country that makes me do a double take...
- Boracay is suddenly closed. Like the entire island--a huge tourist destination--was suddenly closed down by the government for six months. Wow!
- And then there was this interesting article about the Filipino tribe that hangs its dead from cliffs (!!?)
- We recently watched this Filipino movie on Amazon and it was a bit surreal. No poverty shown, not even a single jeepney...and so much swearing. Yikes!
- They just started building the first subway in the Philippines. I'll withhold judgement for now...
- And I can't believe Uber has been completely shut down in the Philippines :(
Sunday, April 8, 2018
Whether you are a tourist in Las Vegas and want to drop by an organization connected to your favorite hobby or a local looking for fun groups to join, there are clubs and organizations for everyone...
- Las Vegas Astronomical Society
- Clark County Nevada Genealogy Society
- 52 Peaks Club
- Las Vegas High Rollers and Strollers Walking Club
- Las Vegas Radio Amateur Club
- Around the Bend Friends Hiking Club
- British Auto Club of Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Soaring Club
- Archaeo-Nevada Society
- Las Vegas Sail and Power Squadron
- Las Vegas Romance Writers of America
- Las Vegas Dragon Boat Club
- Henderson Writers' Group
- Red Rock Search and Rescue
- Las Vegas Book Clubs
- Southern Area Master Gardeners
- Society for Creative Anachronism
- Las Vegas Valley Bicycle Club
- Southern Nevada Gem and Mineral Society
- Nevada Camera Club
- Las Vegas Quilters
- Desert Quilters of Nevada
- Las Vegas Modern Quilt Guild
- Southern Nevada Living History Association
- Sin City Roller Girls
- Clark County ARES/RACES
- Good Times Square and Round Dance Club
- Get Outdoors Nevada
- Silver State Kennel Club
- Las Vegas Chess Club
- Nevada Society of Scottish Clans
- Nevada Watercolor Society
- Henderson Needleworkers Meet Up
- Southern Nevada Garden Clubs
- Las Vegas Drone Club
- Jewish Genealogy Society of Southern Nevada
- Las Vegas WordPress Meet Up
- Las Vegas Disc Golf Club
- Las Vegas Mountaineers Club
- Sin City USPSA
- Vegas Valley 4 Wheelers
- Eagle Riders Motorcycle Club
- Sin City Victory Riders
- Outdoor Afr Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Bitcoin Meet Up
- Las Vegas Historical Society
- Las Vegas Fiber Arts Guild
- Las Vegas Film Critics Society
- Las Vegas Pride
- Southern Nevada Sierra Club
- Las Vegas Canyoneering Meet Up
- Las Vegas Rock Climbing and Bouldering Meet Up
- Animal Foundation
- Metro Volunteer Program
- First Friday Foundation
- German-American Social Club of Nevada
- Westside Newcomers Club
- Las Vegas Car Clubs
- Las Vegas Bridge World
- Red Rock Audubon Society
- Las Vegas Hash House Harriers
- Las Vegas Board Game Group Meet Up
- NAACP Las Vegas
- Project 150
- Southern Nevada Stamp Club
- Las Vegas Coin Club
- Las Vegas Senior Tripsters
- The Mesquite Club
- Nevada Paranormal Societies
- Centennial Las Vegas Genealogy Society
- Vegas Roots Community Garden
- Las Vegas Little Theater
- Las Vegas Bead Society Meet Up
- Cats and Sin City
- Vegas Beer Lovers Meet Up
- Southern Nevada Ale Fermenters Union
- Las Vegas Archers
- Las Vegas Bass Club
- Las Vegas Woods and Waters
- Las Vegas Fly Fishing Club
- Nevada Striper Club
- Desert Sportsman Rifle and Pistol Club
- Nevada Friends of Paleontology
- Las Vegas Triathlon Club
- Lake Las Vegas Rowing Club
- Southern Nevada Amateur Guild of Organists
- Las Vegas Figure Skating Club
- Amazing Las Vegas Cosplayers
- Las Vegas PALS Red Hat Society
- Pickleball Las Vegas
- Battle Born Fencing Club
- Las Vegas YouTubers Meet Up
- Las Vegas Go Club
- American Sewing Guild of Las Vegas
- Las Vegas Racquetball Meet Up
- Las Vegas International Brotherhood of Magicians
- Gold Searchers of Southern Nevada
- Sin City Woodworkers Meet Up
Saturday, April 7, 2018
Our walking club hosts at least one traditional AVA volksmarching event each year. Today was that event and it took our group, plus a few new walkers, from the Las Vegas Harley Davidson store to Town Square, back to the Harley store, then up to the Excalibur Casino and back. It was windy and warm but a great day for a walk!
Friday, April 6, 2018
Thursday, April 5, 2018
Wednesday, April 4, 2018
There are many uniquely Vegas things to do when you move here...
- Get your license and register your car here...that makes you a "local".
- See if you qualify for a tax exemption program and sign up if you do (this will save you a chunk of change on your property tax!).
- Get a library card (we have AMAZING library system in Las Vegas!).
- File a Declaration of Homestead (I'd never heard of this sort of thing until I moved to Vegas).
- If you like the outdoors, get a State Parks Pass and a National Parks Pass (there's lots of nature around here!).
- Get a concealed carry permit (if you are into that sort of thing).
- Get a House Seats or Fill A Seat subscription for a great deal on shows and entertainment.
- If you don't want to pay for cable TV get an OTA antenna and see how many stations you can get for free (we get around 50).
- Go to a Tix4Tonight kiosk for half off of the most popular shows in Las Vegas.
- The RTC is our transit system. While it isn't as wonderful as public transit in most other large cities, it will do in a pinch.
Tuesday, April 3, 2018
Monday, April 2, 2018
We took a short day trip to Mesquite, NV today and it was wonderful. The things I love about Mesquite...
- The people are soooo friendly!
- The breakfast special at the Virgin River Casino is only $3.99, 24 hours a day.
- The views are breathtaking.
- The golf courses are beautiful.
- And the town is nicely designed.