Some of my favorite subreddits:
Friday, March 30, 2018
Interesting or unusual news stories always catch my eye. Here's are some fascinating things for sale (and a few free things):
Thursday, March 29, 2018
Wednesday, March 28, 2018
This is another kind of super simple cookies to make. It takes a whole three ingredients and less than five minutes to make! Simply put 1/3 cup of honey and 2/3 cup of peanut butter in a bowl and melt them together in the microwave. Stir well then add old fashioned oatmeal (about 1 1/2 cup or a little more). Stir together then roll into balls. Simple!
Tuesday, March 27, 2018
For some reason our apricot tree is only half alive. Some of the branches are leafing out beautifully yet more than half of the branches seem to be dead :( Last year there were no leaves at all on the tree but the year before we had a bumper crop of apricots. Color me confused...and not much of a green thumb.
Monday, March 26, 2018
One of my hobbies is genealogy. You never know what you will find when you dig into your past! Here are some of the more interesting/dramatic/amazing stories of my ancestors...
- My 12th great grandmother, Mary Staples, was said to be a witch.
- Another ancestor was captured by Indians.
- This was a sad family story of our cousins.
- Here is a history of one branch of my family.
- Ots Toch is my 11th great grandmother.
- One branch of my family has its own Historical Association.
- It turns out I have a couple of Dutch branches in the family--the Van Valkenburgs and Van Slycks
- Turns out there are several genealogists in the family, one even wrote a book about one family line.
- A sixth great grandfather, Daniel Barney, was very active in politics.
- Finally, I randomly stumbled upon this write up of one line, the Deacey family, in a genealogy society newsletter--fascinating!
Sunday, March 25, 2018
The Fantastic Swap Meet in an interesting place to visit on a weekend morning. It's indoors and air conditioned which is great in the summer, and they sell literally everything from live birds and "gold" jewelry to pirogis, Mexican fruit salads, clothing, knives, CBD oil, Chinese decor and much more!
Saturday, March 24, 2018
Friday, March 23, 2018
Thursday, March 22, 2018
This is the easiest chili recipe ever! Simply saute some minced garlic, chopped onions, and a minced jalapeno pepper. Next add a can of diced tomatoes and a can of drained and rinsed pinto beans. In a blender, blend a can of black beans (not drained or rinsed) along with a jalapeno pepper then add this mixture to the chili and stir well. Season with chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Let simmer for a bit. I also add a bit of salsa to increase the flavor. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or fresh guacamole.
Wednesday, March 21, 2018
Usually I am all for people coming to Las Vegas but there are definitely some downsides to the city...
- It's hot as Hades in the summer!
- Crime...so much crime.
- Huge resort fees.
- And huge parking fees.
- And scams...so many scams.
- Dirty Dining...eeekkkk
- Walking can be dangerous here.
- Las Vegas is dead last in the area of education.
- And the city generally makes the top 10 rudest cities list.
- In fact Las Vegas makes the top of many bizarre lists...
Tuesday, March 20, 2018
It's been a busy weekend in Las Vegas...
- The Baker to Vegas Run was this weekend...congrats to the Ada County Sheriff's team (which had a great support staff IMHO!)
- And there was a big bingo tournament this weekend which drew lots of players...and winners.
- The weather was perfect this weekend...
- ...and we had lots of guests stop by to visit!
Monday, March 19, 2018
Sunday, March 18, 2018
Perhaps one of the best eating plans out there is the "whole food plant based vegan" diet (although it is more of a lifestyle than a diet). Here are some wonderful, informative resources on this newly popular way of eating:
Saturday, March 17, 2018
After hubby's heart attack a few days ago we are definitely jumping on the health food bandwagon. Now my task each day is to make healthy, mostly vegan, food that is tasty and creative enough that hubby forgets he isn't eating meat and rice anymore. On today's menu: green beans, mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon, salmon spiced with Mrs Dash, and quinoa stuffed tomatoes. Yum!
Friday, March 16, 2018
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Tuesday, March 13, 2018
So this was the dinner served in the cardiac unit of our local hospital. Being a fan of the Nutritarian, Whole Food Plant Based, and vegan diets which are shown to do wonders for heart health, imagine my confusion when the orderly showed up with mashed potatoes smothered in gravy and meatloaf smothered in gravy. eeekkkk
Monday, March 12, 2018
There are a lot of resources for military members and veterans in Las Vegas!
- The Nellis Air Force Base just north of Las Vegas is where you will find a commissary, exchange, DEERs office, etc.
- The local military hospital, located just across the street from the Nellis Air Force Base, is the Mike O'Callaghan Military Medical Center.
- The VA Medical Center is also located in North Las Vegas. They have several medical clinics around the valley as well.
- The Thunderbirds Museum is located on the Nellis Base which anyone with military ID can access.
- There is also a Space A terminal located on the Nellis base.
- The Southern Nevada Veteran's Memorial Cemetery is located in Boulder City.
- As is the Nevada State Veteran's Home.
- Southern Nevada Honor Flights escorts veterans to memorials held in Washington DC.
- There are four VFW posts around the valley.
- And there is a USO at McCarran Airport.
- There are always a lot of events around Las Vegas for Veteran's Day.
- And there are also lots of events around Las Vegas for Memorial Day.
- Station Casinos give military members and vets lots of discount every week through their 'Military Monday' promotions.
- Military members can get a free National Parks Pass which can be used at the many national parks around Las Vegas and around the country.
- And disabled veterans can get a discounted Nevada State Parks Annual Pass.
- Military members and vets should always ask for a military discount where ever they go around the valley as there are many businesses that provide such discounts.
- Veteran's Village is a social service organization for vets in need in Las Vegas.
- And there are several other veterans charities located in Las Vegas including the Nevada Veterans Foundation, Veteran's Care Charity, Vehicles for Veterans, US Vets Las Vegas, and Catholic Veterans of Nevada.
- Several other veteran's resource centers include: the Veterans Transition Resource Center, Legal Aid Center Veterans Services, the Nevada Military Support Alliance, and the Nevada Department of Veterans Services.
- For higher education, there is the UNLV Military and Veterans Service Center and the CSN Vets Center.
- For military and vets in crisis, call the Veterans Crisis Line.
- The Nellis Inn offers on-base lodging.
- The Nevada Office of Military Legal Assistance provides free legal assistance to military members for civil matters.
- Veterans in Clark County Nevada may qualify for a special property tax exemption program.
- The Disabled American Veterans organization has a few offices around the Las Vegas Valley.
Sunday, March 11, 2018
Fresh guacamole is so easy to make! You can start with the basics (avocado, cilantro, salt, pepper, and lime juice) and then add all kinds of other things to it (today's guac included diced onions, diced tomatoes, minced jalapenos, chopped green onions, and a little sour cream). Yum!
Saturday, March 10, 2018
Friday, March 9, 2018
Thursday, March 8, 2018
In no particular order...
- Apparently homeowners are responsible when their HOA messes up here.
- So I should probably file some sort of homestead exemption which I've never heard of before.
- I learned all about housekeeping in Las Vegas hotels in this post.
- And recently found out the Walk of Stars on the Strip is being removed.
- Parking costs on the Strip are becoming astronomical!
- As are our car insurance rates (some of the highest in the nation).
- And this is what happens when you rent out your house on AirBnB without a permit in Vegas.
- We have a freeway project called "Project Neon" which is a hot mess until it gets finished.
- And this week in March Madness in Las Vegas...so. many. basketball. players!
- But at least we aren't in New England this week!
Wednesday, March 7, 2018
Tuesday, March 6, 2018
The South Premium Outlet Mall is one of the better malls in Las Vegas. It is huge (with two food courts), has a lot of name-brand stores, and (most important in the summer) it is an air conditioned indoor mall. Needless to say this place is packed in the summer, mostly with tourists. We walked through the mall today and found there were lots of new stores since the last time we were here and I was surprised to see an outlet store for Caesars Properties which features stuff from all of their gift shops (Rio, Paris, Caesars Palace, etc) as well as WSOP stuff. Interesting.
Monday, March 5, 2018
If you walk over to the Bellagio from Caesars Palace or Ballys you will pass through the Shops at the Ballagio Casino Resort. These are all high end (read: expensive!) stores representing many of the best brands in the country. It is a nice place to browse...
Not to be missed when you walk along the Las Vegas Strip is the Brahma Shrine in front of Caesars Palace. It is a small shrine (a replica of one in Thailand) and apparently it is the only Brahma Shrine in the western hemisphere! You can read more about it here, here, and here.
The Wildlife Habitat behind the Flamingo Casino on the Strip really is an oasis in the desert! It's very quiet and peaceful and there are all kinds of birds and fish to check out along with beautiful, nature-like backdrops that make you forget you are in the middle of a big city. Beautiful!
We walked the center Strip today which knocks a whole lot of things off the Las Vegas list. I nearly forgot about the Bugsy Siegel Memorial until we ran into it while looking at the Wildlife Habitat behind the Flamingo Hotel. It's fun to find pieces of "old Vegas" mixed in with all of the "new Vegas" things.